Friday, May 18, 2012

Kwik Sew 3915

This is the top that I made to go with the yellow printed skirt posted earlier.  I used a white chiffon that I ruched at the top around the neckline.  It is of a great fabric purchased from the swimsuit and active wear section at Joann's.  This fabric has great stretch recovery.  I will be making a few more of these!
I wish this fabric came in more colors other than white and black.

And More!!!

I know I'm on a roll with this...only because there is NOTHING going on at work and if I blog and review on PR, then I won't peruse the interwebs and buy more fabric!!!!

Here is Vogue 1275 that I made to go with the black and white print skirt Butterick 5466. I trimmed it with bead and sequin trim from Joann's. The fabric is an April Johnston for Project Runway cotton/lycra - it is a bit thin, but I made it work. Overall I'm pleased with the completed outfit.  


Here is my completed versions of Butterick 5466. The first one is the Black and White print from Joann Fabrics.  It is a bit large in the waist so when I made the yellow printed one I cut the waist down to the smaller size.  It looks big on the dress form because she has no squishy fluff at the waist!!!  The yellow print came from Joann Fabrics as well, it is just not as thick as the black and white fabric.  It seems to have more stretch to it, but they were both purchased from the same section of the store - Bottomweight stretch poplin.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Vogue 8805

Gosh, It has been well over a year since I posted...time flies when you are having fun!  I'm been sewing....a lot!  And when I sew that much, I just don't take the time to blog about it!  This is my last creation:

Vogue 8805 

Vogue 8805 back
I made this from 100% poly crepe and lined it with bemberg rayon.  This is a very easy pattern and I will be making this again in brighter colors for the summer!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Life got in the way........again.

I've finally been able to get back into the sewing room after many months of not doing much in there.  I was working on a quilt with the jelly roll and cutting my pieces when we received a phone call that my MIL was being taken to the ER, this was the 28th of January.....she passed away the next day.  We were consumed with the details of everything and I just had a hard time getting back in there and especially blogging about the little I was doing in there.  Anyway I worked on the quilt until I decided I needed to make some garments, so I folded it all away in a drawer until the fall!

So now that that is out of the way...I'm heading to Chicago in May for the 10th anniversary PR weekend, my first!  And one of the things that I need are some clothes that I have made.  So I worked on the McCall's pattern mentioned in my last post I think.

I cut out my muslin on Friday and tweaked it a bit, then cut my fabric that I bought last spring from a huge sewing store in the Orlando area that the name has completely slipped my mind.  Here are some pics of me wearing the dress with LOTS of spandex garment underneath :-)!  I may wear this to the luncheon on Sunday in Chicago. 

This pattern was so easy to sew and I may make it again.  The ruching on the sides were the trickiest part of the dress.  The ruching was great on the back but the sides it seemed to kind of disappear once I sewed the stay tape in place.  I used the serger on most of the dress and maybe that is why the sides seams and the ruching seemed to disappear, maybe I cut off too much of the gathering.  I think it looks fine, so I'm very happy with it. 

My next dress project is in the works...the muslin is cut and I'm ready to sew except the long weekend is just about over and work again on Monday.  I'll try to get in there tomorrow after work. 

Until next time.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Check!! Another off the list.....

Finished the purple knit dress/jacket today.  It took me way longer than it should have to sew and finish this pattern.  I decided to pull out the Coverpro to do the neckline/sleeve/hems.  Of course since it had been almost a year since I used it, I had to relearn how to use the machine.  I had a few problems getting the stitches to form correctly, but it will do.  Not perfect but acceptable.   
I'm planning on wearing this tomorrow, so I'll post pictures.

Next is on to McCall's 6194
- pajamas for my grandson.  I have fabric leftover from his last pair that I'm going to make and another knit that I was going to make for him when I made the last pair.  He has grown so much, that those are way too short for him.

That's all for now...happy sewing!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Plans go as planned!

My plans for the sewing room yesterday came through without a hitch.

1st - the glue stick worked beautifully to get the pattern matched perfectly on the home dec fabric for my SIL.  So that is out of the sewing room and on its way to New Jersey.

2nd - the purple knit jacket came out better than I thought it would.  The sleeves are bit short, but I usually push my sleeves up on knits anyway. 

I think the reason I think it looks better is because of my new serger.  The finish on the edge for the collar and front is so much better looking than the last one I did with the gray.  I put purple wooly nylon in both loopers and changed the differential feed to N, used only the left needle, and used a small stitch width and a tiny stitch length, one click up from the satin stitch length.  Here is a close up of the finish on the edge.
That is it for now.  The purple dress is next on the plan of action.